Press History

The art of printing originated by Johan Gutenberg (c1400 – 1468) in Mainz Germany, where the Holy Bible was printed for the very first time. This art quickly spread throughout Europe.
Introduced of Printing

In Malta’s case, a good number of years had to elapse when in 1642, Pompeo de Fiore, probably originating from Sicily, introduced the art of printing in the Maltese Islands. He asked Grand Master Jean Paul de Lascaris Castellar (1636 -1657) for permission to start operating the printing press together with some exemptions from the payment of duty in recognition of the fact that with his efforts, he introduced the art of printing in Malta. By decree of June 17, 1642, he was granted permission, on condition that prior to going to press, every piece of work had to be vetted and censored by the Inquisitor. Therefore, the first printing press in Malta was set up through a private initiative. However, it is worth mentioning that some years previously, Grand Master Lascaris had already tried to set up a printing press – an attempt which however was unsuccessful.

De Fiore was the director of the Order’s kiln, rather than a printer. This fact may explain why de Fiore’s printing press was located in the same kiln building. An interesting fact is that no printed works bearing the name of this printer have as yet been found. It is very likely that the de Fiore printing press was a small business solely suitable for printing posters and prayer booklets.

Meanwhile, the Order continued to feel the need to have its own printing press. In this period one can find a good number of works printed in Malta by Paolo Bonacota such as Con Licenza de’ Superiore. Furthermore, one can find Delle Descrittione di Malta (1647) by Gio Francesco Abela, Vice Chancellor of the Order, considered to be the father of Maltese historiography. The last printed work in Malta during this period was in 1656. The typographic art had to stop abruptly due to a disagreement between the Order, the Bishop and the Inquisitor over the right of censorship. The dispute lasted for a long period and substantial correspondence was exchanged between the Order and the Holy See on the matter.

During the period of office of Grand Master Emanuel Pinto de Fonseca (1741 – 1773), through his Ambassador to the Holy See, Bali ‘de Tencin, Pinto de Fonseca pushed for a definitive solution which was reached in 1746. During that same year, an agreement was reached for the Imprimatur to contain the signatures of the Bishop, the Inquisitor and the Grand Master, all three of whom were to sign on the same line. Consequently, the dispute that had hindered the introduction and development of printing in Malta for over a century, was finally overcome.

In 1756, Don Nicolo Capaci arrived in Malta and was commissioned by Grand Master Pinto to structure the Order’s Printing Press. Capaci held the position of printer of the Order until 1772. The printing press had been set up in the Grand Master’s Palace close to the courtyard where the statue of Nettuno is currently found. On the 5th of June 1756, the printing press was opened to the public who visited eagerly to view this innovation for Malta.

The first work printed at the Order’s printing press was probably a sonnet written by Capaci himself in honour of the Grand Master to commemorate the inauguration of the printing press. The first commissioned work involving payment was printed at this printing press in July 1756. From that year onwards, the Stamperija di Sua Altezza Serenissima continued to grow and develop. Amongst those who worked at the printing press was Rev. Giovanni Mallia who in 1763 had the role of assistant printer. Mallia succeeded Capaci in 1772 and retained that post until the end of the French rule of the Maltese Islands in 1800. It is unfounded that the Order wanted to leave the Maltese population in ignorance and that the printing press of the Order only printed works of praise for the same Order. In fact, the printing press of the Order printed literary works, programmes for operatic works, hymns, prayer books, legal cases, and philosophical and theological theses. In addition to this, it is pertinent to mention great works such as Ignazio Saverio Mifsud’s Biblioteca Maltese and Malta Illustrata authored by Count Gian Anton Ciantar.

The advent of the French in 1798 brought with it the publication of the first newspaper – Journal De Malte – which was printed in two columns: the first column in French and the second column was a translation in Italian. Ten issues of this newspaper were published. The printing press was no longer called Stamperija di Sua Altezza Serenissima but was renamed into Imprimerie Nationale – hence implying a more national concept. During the French rule, the printing press was shifted to where the former Chancellory of the Order once stood.

The departure of the French was succeeded by the British at the beginning of the 19th century. Censorship was rife and the only printing press on the island was that belonging to the Government. The printing press was moved back to the Palace and sometime later shifted to Aubege d’ Italy in Merchant’s Street. This was done under the leadership of Vittorio Barzoni. Among the first directors of this printing press during British rule, were Henry Harper (1819) and Charles Harper (1826). Once again, in 1813, during the time of Governor Thomas Maitland, the printing press was moved back to the Palace.

For the first time on 27th October 1813, the Gazzetta del Governo di Malta was issued – this being the official Government Gazette. Between 1816 and 1964 this was always headlined as Malta Government Gazette. With the attainment of Independence in 1964, it changed its name to: The Malta Government Gazette. This title is still currently in use. From its inception in 1813 to 1816, the Gazette was only printed in the Italian language. After 1816, the Government Gazette was printed in 2 languages: Italian and English. Commencing in 1935, the Government Gazette began to be printed in English (first language) and Maltese whereas following Malta’s Independence from British rule, the Government Gazette was printed in Maltese (1st language) and English.

Over the years, various works have been printed at the Government Printing Press. Of particular mention are : Florae Melitensis Thesaurus (An Enumeration of the plants of Malta and Gozo) written by Dr. Stefan Zerafa (1827), L’Ultimo Periodo della Storia di Malta sotto il Governo dell’ Ordine Gerosolmitanio by Kan. Fortunato Panzavecchia (1835) and Giornale della Presa di Malta e Gozo della Republica francese e della susseguente Rivoluzione della Campagna authored by Baron Vincenzo Azzopardi (1836).

During the Second World War, the Government Printing Press moved to Hamrun, however in May 1945, it was shifted back to the Palace in Valletta.

In the 1970’s, it was decided to move the House of Representatives to the Armoury Hall, while the Armoury was then to be moved downstairs where the Government Press stood. This meant that a new location needed to be found for the Government Printing Press and in 1974 the Press was moved to St. James Cavalier – a place that was not at all suitable.

In 1986, the Government Printing Press formed part of the Department of Information, however in February 1994, it became an autonomous department currently falling within the remit of the Office of the Prime Minister.

Since St. James Cavalier had always been unsuitable as a location for a printing press, in November 1995, the Government Printing Press moved to where it is today – Marsa Industrial Estate. The setup and location are suitable for the ever-increasing demands in the printing industry.

In more recent times, general and civic publications have been printed at the Government Printing Press. Amongst these are official publications such as General Estimates, Parliamentary Drafts and Laws, Annual Budget publications, Ballot Papers and Voting Documents used in the country’s various elections. A substantial number of jobs are also done for various Government Departments.

In 1839, the Freedom of the Press Act came into force and censorship was abolished. Following the enactment of this law, the Government Printing Press was no longer the only printing house in the country since several printing presses were set up.